MetroRehab Hospital respects and upholds rights to privacy protection under the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 and other relevant privacy legislation. This act includes how MetroRehab Hospital collects, uses, discloses and stores the personal and health information of individuals.
MetroRehab Hospital collects, uses, stores and discloses the personal information of individuals for the primary purpose of providing health care, rehabilitation and other directly related services. This includes but is not limited to:
- Sharing of information by the treating multidisciplinary rehabilitation team
- Referral to other clinicians and service providers for diagnostic tests, treatment and/or services
- Providing information to an individual’s GP on discharge
- Conveying information to an individual’s next of kin, spouse, close family members, guardian or power of attorney
- Liaising with an individual’s nominated health fund, Medicare or Department of Veteran’s Affairs
- To emergency service and acute care facilities in the event that your life is at risk
- To manage hospital business including processes related to risk management, safety, security, quality improvement and accreditation activities
- Education of medical and health professionals
- To maintain the health records of individuals as required by law and as outlined in our work instructions
- For other purposes as required or permitted by law.
Where possible, MetroRehab Hospital will collect personal information directly from the individual it relates to. MetroRehab Hospital may also collect personal information about an individual from third parties such as family members, other health care services or medical and health professionals who have treated the individual if the individual has provided consent for MetroRehab Hospital to do so or if it is not reasonable or practical for MetroRehab to collect it from the individual themselves.
MetroRehab Hospital will not use or disclose the personal information of individuals to any other persons or organisations for any other purposes unless:
- The individual has given consent
- The individual would expect MetroRehab Hospital to use or disclose the information for a secondary purpose related to providing the individual with health and rehabilitation services
- MetroRehab Hospital has advised the individual that their personal information will be disclosed to another person or organisation
- MetroRehab is permitted or required to do so by law.
Individuals have the right to access their personal information contained in their health record. Individuals may request an amendment to their health record if they believe it contains inaccurate information.
MetroRehab Hospital is also committed to protecting the online privacy of individuals who access the hospital website at metrorehab.com.au