Treatment and rehabilitation after stroke can help you to relearn skills and improve your quality of life. The sooner you begin stroke rehabilitation, the more likely you will be to regain abilities and skills.
The Sydney Stroke Rehabilitation Centre at MetroRehab Hospital specialises in rehabilitation for stroke patients. If you or a loved one has experienced a stroke, there is simply no better place to turn.
At the Sydney Stroke Rehabilitation Centre, we believe in a multidisciplinary rehabilitation approach. Studies have shown that a multidisciplinary approach achieves the best outcomes in stroke rehabilitation.
Under the direction of a rehabilitation specialist, you will be assessed by our experienced therapists. We bring together the combined expertise of the therapists and a tailored a rehabilitation plan utilising the most appropriate mix of therapies to support you to achieve your goals.
Your expectations and aspirations will be integral to the planning process as we work with you towards recovery and increased independence.
Our team will assess your achievement regularly, set a realistic timeframe for discharge and coordinate your continued care. We encourage a family conference for both you and your loved ones to learn more about your condition and your progress during rehabilitation.
MetroRehab Hospital offers a range of specialised equipment for stroke rehabilitation including:
- Litegait training – partial body weight support treadmill system for gait retraining.
- Bioness L300 – advanced Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) system to improve muscle activity in the leg when walking.
- Saebo – a custom fabricated mechanical orthosis that allows incorporation of the affected arm into functional upper limb retraining or reach and grasp.
- Thera-trainer tigo – a versatile leg and arm trainer that facilitates functional recovery and improved motor skills by allowing the patient to exercise their legs and upper body with or without motorised assistance – whilst sitting in a chair or wheelchair.
Commitment to national stroke standards
The Sydney Stroke Rehabilitation Centre at MetroRehab Hospital participates in the bi-annual National Stroke Foundation Rehabilitation Audit and we are proud to be excelling in the following areas:
- 100% of the time our patients were involved in their goal setting.
- 100% of the time carers received relevant training.
- Best practice and evidence-based intensity of therapy is met.
- Dedicated specialised stroke (or neuro-rehab) team.
Other advantages when choosing The Sydney Stroke Rehabilitation Centre at MetroRehab Hospital for your stroke rehabilitation:
- Spasticity management: Specialised assessment/treatment by accredited doctors including Botulinum Toxin injections and personalised multidisciplinary management programs
- Hydrotherapy: gravity-free movement in a warm therapeutic environment can be an effective component of a neurological rehabilitation program; buoyancy can aid your range of movement and allow you to build on your fitness, balance and strength
- A dedicated stroke/neurological rehabilitation services coordinator allocated to your rehabilitation to provide education and support to you and your family.