MetroRehab Hospital is a 37 bed, private rehabilitation hospital offering day and inpatient services. MetroRehab is proudly owned by Royal Rehab and is located in Petersham in Sydney’s Inner West. Specialising in multidisciplinary medical rehabilitation, MetroRehab Hospital offers neurological, stroke, orthopaedic, reconditioning and cancer and pain management programs. The renowned Sydney Stroke Rehabilitation Centre operates as part of MetroRehab Hospital providing excellence in stroke rehabilitation.
MetroRehab Hospital has been providing rehabilitation services in the Inner West community for over 30 years and enjoys a reputation for clinical excellence in a caring and compassionate environment.
Our rehabilitation team works closely with each patient and their family to develop programs that are tailored to each patient’s goals. We encourage patients to take an active role in treatment and to feel that MetroRehab Hospital is like a home away from home during their stay.
Continuous quality improvement is central to the MetroRehab Hospital business system. We strive to improve the delivery of our care and services on an ongoing basis.
MetroRehab Hospital is actively involved in our local community. Through an active volunteer program, we benefit from the generosity of local community members who generously give of their time to support our patients. We have established an ongoing engagement program with Newington College, a nearby secondary school, which brings fun, laughter and youthful enthusiasm into the lives of our patients and staff alike.
Every year our staff members walk alongside past and present patients with their families and loved ones to participate in events that are close to our hearts including the Stroke Wellness Walk and the Unity Walk in the Park (raising awareness for Parkinson’s Disease).
At MetroRehab Hospital, our mission is to give you a better quality of life. Our sole focus is rehabilitation and our commitment your wellbeing is paramount. We pride ourselves on being able to provide a personal experience, designed to exceed expectations.
Originally known as Kimpton, the elegant home of the Abel family, the founders of the ETA Foods business empire, the current home of MetroRehab has played a number of roles since it was built in 1908.
- In the 1930s and 1940s it was used as a boarding house before being converted into an acute surgical facility known as Castlewood Hospital. In 1979 Castlewood Hospital underwent a major redevelopment, adding a new wing.
- In 1983, Castlewood was granted accreditation by the Australian Council on Hospital Standards and continued as a surgical hospital until 1989.
- On 26th of January 1990 the hospital was rededicated as the Brain Injury and Research Centre, a brief episode in this building’s history that on the 4th of April saw it officially re-opened as a dedicated rehabilitation facility, the Castlewood Rehabilitation Hospital.
- In 2001 the hospital was purchased and then upgraded by Sonari Pty Ltd and the modern day MetroRehab Hospital was established.
- In 2019 Royal Rehab acquired MetroRehab in a move to expand its rehabilitation presence and offer rehabilitation services in the Inner West.